New FortiGate 3200F and 900G Drive Efficiencies, Improve Security, and Unify Management Across the Entire Hybrid Network
SUNNYVALE, Calif., July 18, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) —
John Maddison, CMO and EVP, Product Strategy
“Fortinet is proven in the data center, delivering cutting-edge security and energy-efficient performance to today’s largest enterprise organizations. We believe the new Forrester Total Economic Impact™ study highlights what customers have said for years: The powerful combination of FortiGate NGFWs and FortiGuard AI-Powered Security Services not only strengthens security across the entire enterprise but also delivers incredible return on investment.”
Fortinet® (NASDAQ: FTNT), the global cybersecurity leader driving the convergence of networking and security, today announced an independent analysis of the cost savings and business benefits of deploying FortiGate Next-Generation firewalls (NGFWs) and FortiGuard AI-Powered Security Services within the enterprise data center, including more than a 300% return on investment (ROI) over three years and payback in six months. Fortinet is also deepening its commitment to data center security with two new NGFW appliances: the FortiGate 3200F, which includes 380 Gbps of firewall throughput and 400GE interfaces to support hyperscale data centers, and the FortiGate 900G, which delivers 20 Gbps of threat protection in a compact form factor for the enterprise.
Key Findings from the Independent Study
To quantify the ROI of FortiGate NGFWs and services within the enterprise data center, Fortinet commissioned a “Forrester Consulting Total Economic Impact™ (TEI) study” to aggregate customer feedback. The results were combined to form a single composite organization, which has an annual revenue of $2.5 billion, more than 15,000 employees, and at least three data centers. The study found that the composite organization realized improved performance, increased productivity, and cost savings, as well as the following benefits:
- 318% ROI and six months payback: Deploying FortiGate data center NGFWs with FortiGuard AI-Powered Security Services resulted in a 318% return on investment over three years, payback in less than six months, and more than $8 million in net benefits.
- 90% reduction in time spent on manual updates: Because FortiGate NGFWs are simple to deploy and manage, they reduced the time networking teams spent on manual updates and fixes by 90%. This ease of use, combined with powerful automation, also resulted in a 50% reduction in device reimaging and 95% reduction in ancillary device connections.
- 40% savings compared to previous NGFW solutions: FortiGate solutions converge networking and security, so customers can reduce the number of point products and services needed to protect their data centers, cutting costs by 40%.
New FortiGate NGFWs: Power and Performance for the Data Center
Furthering Fortinet’s commitment to the data center, the company is also announcing new FortiGate NGFWs with energy-efficient performance to protect modern enterprises while meeting sustainability goals. These new NGFWs are fully integrated with FortiGuard AI-Powered Security Services, including advanced intrusion protection, web security technologies like DNS and URL filtering, and content security to stop new and emerging file-based attacks. Two new models are:
- FortiGate 3200F series is purpose-built for hyperscale data centers, delivering 4x the industry average firewall throughput, 4.7x the industry average SSL Inspection throughput, and 3.5x the industry average IPSec VPN throughput while consuming 72% less energy than competitors. It comes with four 400GE interfaces to seamlessly manage high traffic volume and scale according to business needs.
- FortiGate 900G series is setting a new industry standard by delivering data center ready performance in a compact form factor. It boasts 6x the firewall throughput, 5x the IPSec VPN throughput, and 3x the threat protection throughput (20 Gbps) than the industry average, ensuring efficient and secure operations.
Below is a summary of target performance numbers of the FortiGate 3200F and 900G series compiled by Fortinet. Security Compute Rating is a benchmark (performance multiplier) that helps customers understand FortiGate performance.
FortiGate 3200F series
|Specification||FortiGate 3201F||Security Compute|
|Firewall||387 Gbps||4X||98.5 Gbps|
|IPSec VPN||105 Gbps||3.5X||30 Gbps|
|Threat Protection||45 Gbps||1.6X||27.5 Gbps|
|SSL Inspection||29 Gbps||4.7X||6.2 Gbps|
|Connections per Second||800K||1.4X||565K|
|Specification||FortiGate 3201F||Energy Efficiency||Industry Average|
|Watts/Gbps Firewall Throughput||2.25||3.6X||8W|
|Watts/Gbps IPsec VPN Throughput||8.29||4.6X||38.5W|
|BTU/h of Firewall Throughput||7.6 BTU||2X||15.7 BTU|
FortiGate 900G series
|Specification||FortiGate 901G||Security Compute|
|Firewall||164 Gbps||6X||27 Gbps|
|IPSec VPN||55 Gbps||5X||11 Gbps|
|Threat Protection||20 Gbps||3X||6.5 Gbps|
|SSL Inspection||16.7 Gbps||2.5X||6.7 Gbps|
|Connections per Second||720K||4.5X||173K|
|Specification||FortiGate 901G||Energy Efficiency||Industry Average|
|Watts/Gbps Firewall Throughput||1.6W||6.6X||10.6W|
|Watts/Gbps IPsec VPN Throughput||4.8W||5.2X||25.1W|
|BTU/h of Firewall Throughput||5.25 BTU||6.4X||33.9 BTU|
- FortiGate 3200F and 900G Threat Protection performance is measured with Firewall, IPS, Application Control and Malware Protection, and Logging enabled.
Continued Recognition and Support for Hybrid Mesh Firewall Architecture
Fortinet and FortiGate NGFWs have been recognized by a number of third-parties and analysts, including positioning as a Leader in the 2022 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Network Firewalls, as a Leader in the 2022 The Forrester Wave™: Enterprise Firewalls report, and with a “Recommended” rating from CyberRatings.org.
We believe these third-party recognitions are a result of Fortinet’s unique approach that converges networking and security. FortiGate NGFWs use a single operating system, FortiOS, and unified management console, FortiManager, to extend AI-powered security across all NGFWs within a hybrid environment, including on-premises, in the cloud, and within virtual machines. This makes FortiGate NGFWs an ideal fit for a hybrid mesh firewall architecture, which coordinates policies across firewalls to create a comprehensive security posture. FortiGate NGFWs are also easy to procure and deploy as part of FortiFlex, Fortinet’s usage-based licensing program.
“Fortinet made deploying and managing next-gen firewalls across our on-premises, cloud, and virtual environments simple. With FortiManager, we can view performance, unify policies, and ensure our NGFWs are sharing threat information via a single pane of glass. We’re excited to continue working with Fortinet on our hybrid mesh firewall architecture and the overall security posture of our entire network.” – Joseph Neumann, Deputy Chief Information Security Officer, Digital Realty
- Learn more about the Forrester TEI study.
- Learn more about FortiGate NGFWs and hybrid mesh firewall.
- Learn about Fortinet’s free cybersecurity training, which includes broad cyber awareness and product training. As part of the Fortinet Training Advancement Agenda (TAA), the Fortinet Training Institute also provides training and certification through the Network Security Expert (NSE) Certification, Academic Partner, and Education Outreach programs.
- Learn more about FortiGuard Labs threat intelligence and research and Outbreak Alerts, which provide timely steps to mitigate breaking cybersecurity attacks.
- Learn more about Fortinet’s FortiGuard Security Services portfolio.
- Read about how Fortinet customers are securing their organizations.
- Follow Fortinet on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram. Subscribe to Fortinet on our blog or YouTube.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s Research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
GARTNER is a registered trademark and service mark of Gartner and Magic Quadrant is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally and are used herein with permission. All rights reserved.
Gartner, Magic Quadrant for Network Firewalls, Rajpreet Kaur, Adam Hils, Tom Lintemuth, 20 December 2022
Fortinet (NASDAQ: FTNT) is a driving force in the evolution of cybersecurity and the convergence of networking and security. Our mission is to secure people, devices, and data everywhere, and today we deliver cybersecurity everywhere you need it with the largest integrated portfolio of over 50 enterprise-grade products. Well over half a million customers trust Fortinet’s solutions, which are among the most deployed, most patented, and most validated in the industry. The Fortinet Training Institute, one of the largest and broadest training programs in the industry, is dedicated to making cybersecurity training and new career opportunities available to everyone. FortiGuard Labs, Fortinet’s elite threat intelligence and research organization, develops and utilizes leading-edge machine learning and AI technologies to provide customers with timely and consistently top-rated protection and actionable threat intelligence. Learn more at https://www.fortinet.com, the Fortinet Blog, and FortiGuard Labs.
Copyright © 2023 Fortinet, Inc. All rights reserved. The symbols ® and ™ denote respectively federally registered trademarks and common law trademarks of Fortinet, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates. Fortinet’s trademarks include, but are not limited to, the following: Fortinet, the Fortinet logo, FortiGate, FortiOS, FortiGuard, FortiCare, FortiAnalyzer, FortiManager, FortiASIC, FortiClient, FortiCloud, FortiMail, FortiSandbox, FortiADC, FortiAI, FortiAIOps, FortiAntenna, FortiAP, FortiAPCam, FortiAuthenticator, FortiCache, FortiCall, FortiCam, FortiCamera, FortiCarrier, FortiCASB, FortiCentral, FortiConnect, FortiController, FortiConverter, FortiCWP, FortiDB, FortiDDoS, FortiDeceptor, FortiDeploy, FortiDevSec, FortiEdge, FortiEDR, FortiExplorer, FortiExtender, FortiFirewall, FortiFone, FortiGSLB, FortiHypervisor, FortiInsight, FortiIsolator, FortiLAN, FortiLink, FortiMoM, FortiMonitor, FortiNAC, FortiNDR, FortiPenTest, FortiPhish, FortiPlanner, FortiPolicy, FortiPortal, FortiPresence, FortiProxy, FortiRecon, FortiRecorder, FortiSASE, FortiSDNConnector, FortiSIEM, FortiSMS, FortiSOAR, FortiSwitch, FortiTester, FortiToken, FortiTrust, FortiVoice, FortiWAN, FortiWeb, FortiWiFi, FortiWLC, FortiWLM and FortiXDR. Other trademarks belong to their respective owners. Fortinet has not independently verified statements or certifications herein attributed to third parties and Fortinet does not independently endorse such statements. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, nothing herein constitutes a warranty, guarantee, contract, binding specification or other binding commitment by Fortinet or any indication of intent related to a binding commitment, and performance and other specification information herein may be unique to certain environments.